Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cherry Blossoms!

I finally downloaded some photos off our camera.  Two weekends ago, we saw the cherry blossoms during their "peak" time.  They are amazing.  The Japanese word for cherry blossoms is sakura.  I have been fortunate to have seen the cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin in Washington, DC, and really, there's nothing more beautiful than seeing these pink blossoms all over Tokyo (and that part of DC).

When I was in DC, I simply took walks around the Tidal Basin at lunchtime.  Here in Tokyo, people have parties under the trees.  These parties are called hanami, which is translated to "flower viewing."  Allegedly, hanami parties were discouraged by the mayor of Tokyo because it was thought people should be somber after the earthquake and tsunami.  Well, the public ignored the mayor because there were celebrations throughout.  I think the Japanese thought that they should embrace the beauty of the sakura - and life must go on.

We went to a part of Tokyo called Naka-Meguro.  There is a river that runs through this part of town, and cherry blossom trees line the river banks.  It's gorgeous!  Here are some photos of us.

I am holding a sweet potato.  There were snacks and drinks sold throughout the walk along the river.  Christian and I shared a glass of champagne!


As you can see, the sakura are "flowing" into the river.