Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rush Limbaugh, where are you?

This is a picture of an intersection pretty close to our apartment. I was walking home one day, and about 10 police officers mobilized and blocked the streets. All of a sudden I heard this incredibly loud PA system - yelling all sorts of things (which I could not understand). Being the nosey person that I am, I waited to see what the fuss was about.

It turns out that the police were waiting for the above black van to drive through the streets. You can see the very large loud speakers on top. Honestly, the stuff that was being yelled was quite frightening...I can't even describe it. I took a picture (duh), hoping that the cops wouldn't take my camera. I then emailed Christian's assistant to see what the van said.

She said this van is part of the extreme right-wing group (whatever it's called) in Japan. And they are known for shouting all sorts of stuff to get people's attention.

I don't really follow Japanese politics, but I always thought that things were pretty low-key around here. I've never seen any protests (save the Falun Gong people), so this took me by surprise.