Monday, February 1, 2010

Snow!

We got our first snowfall in Tokyo last night. This is kind of a big deal. See how much we got? Can you believe it??? I got an email late last night that said we should be prepared for Joseph's pre-school possibly being closed. Anyway, as you can see, the amount of snow is laughable (at least by Chicago standards). But really, if they got more snow, I don't know how the heck the city would shovel it away. The streets are so winding and narrow that snowplows would never fit. And where would all the snow go? There are very few sidewalks and right-of-ways.

We really can't complain about the weather here....it's the coldest part of the year and it's only in the lower 40s. I have read that in March, the average temperature is 55. Balmy, I tell ya!

The worst part of the weather, though, is the rain. When it rains in Tokyo, it rains ALL DAY LONG. This, coupled with having a small child, makes for a depressing day. At home, I would have figured out some indoor activities, which would have included a trip to Target. In Tokyo, just hopping in the car and going somewhere is really a bad idea. Traffic is nutso and parking is even more nutso.

With all of these rainy days, though, plants are really green. We are really looking forward to the cherry blossoms in late March/early April. One of the best places to view the blossoms is a big cemetery. I'll take some photos when the time comes!