Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day (aka Women Get Nothing Day)

Here's a picture of Joseph with an art creation from pre-school. This is a butterfly with a little note on the front saying "you make my heart flutter." I went to his Valentine's Day party at pre-school on Friday. It was pretty fun, although Joseph wanted to go home as soon as I arrived. He crashed about 2 minutes after returning to our apartment.

Anyway, on Valentine's Day in Japan, women get the shaft. Here, women buy men chocolates. And it's not even a romantic notion. Women buy chocolates for their male colleagues. There are lots of fancy chocolate stores throughout Tokyo, and there are also lots of chocolate displays in grocery stores. You could really go as cheap or as expensive as you wish. It's this time of year when I really miss Fannie May chocolates.

My chocolate-free status will be over in the middle of March. There is a day called "White Day" where men buy women chocolates. So Christian, I hope you don't forget! (I like hazelnuts in my chocolate, thank you)