Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fashion sense in Tokyo

I didn't have the heart to take a photo of some random person in Tokyo (would I have been caught stalking??), so I copied this photo from a website. Anyway, the point of this post is to say that Japanese fashion is weird, or avant garde, or beautiful, or ??? I just don't know.

I'm kind of a jeans-and-t-shirt kind of gal, so I don't know if I could put together an outfit like this. (I'm referring to the woman in the green scarf). But would I want to? Daisy Duke shorts, black tights, WHITE BOOTS??? Yeah, no.

But in all seriousness, this woman would not be considered weird walking down the street. There are plenty of other people like her. And really, her outfit isn't even that bad.

What kills me is that comfortable fashion is definitely NOT in style here. A contact of Christian's recommended we bring comfortable shoes to Tokyo. They're just not sold here. Plus, my feet (a size 9) are off the charts here. I would have to order shoes from another country. I don't understand how this train-subway-bus-obsessed society can walk around in these crazy-heeled shoes.

For guys, things seem to be a bit more normal.

I guess the overriding theme is that most people wear black and grey clothing, at least in some capacity.

I'm going to keep my "frump" status for a while. And I'm proud of it!