I know that I have an obsession with Japanese garbage and bathrooms, but bear with me on this one. We were on a roadtrip last weekend (details forthcoming), and we stopped at a rest area on the way there. Japanese rest areas are quite different. Sure, there are vending machines, bathrooms, and other amenities. However, Japanese people tend to hang out at rest areas. Like have elaborate picnic lunches. There were also some farmers hawking their goods. I got some baked sweet potatoes coated in sugar! Yum! Anyway, I took Gracie into the ladies' room to get changed, and I just had to share my experience in there. This was, by far, the neatest public restroom I've ever been in.
When you first walk in, there is a computerized map telling you which stall is open! Genius! And each stall has a picture on it telling you which type of toilet is there, along with changing tables, etc.
Then, once you get in the stall, there are directions on how to sit on the toilet. And a gentle reminder to flush the toilet paper. I don't mean to put this up here as a joke. Asian toilets, traditionally, have been very different, so these fancy toilets are quite new to older folks.
Then, there's a spray to disinfect the toilet seat.
Here's an extra toddler seat if your kid is toilet-trained.
Here is a place to hang your cane if you use one:
And finally, the "Mommy's Helper." This is a little seat that's quite common in bathrooms. Gracie likes sitting in here!
I probably shouldn't even be posting these pictures, lest you think I'm a whackadoo. Oh well, welcome to my life!





