Saturday, January 9, 2010

Huge victory!

In packing for Tokyo, I really stressed out about what to bring. Since we're keeping our house in Milwaukee, I knew I couldn't bring everything to Tokyo. I decided to leave my rocking chair back in Wisconsin, thinking I could buy one in Tokyo. Well, let me say that buying a rocking chair has become my obsession (no exaggeration). I checked every store possible in Japan. I checked international stores that would ship to Japan. Nothing resembling a rocking chair exists in Japan (except ones that are wooden and would be really uncomfortable for rocking a baby). I just don't get how the Japanese take care of infants. Sidenote: changing tables really aren't common here either. The deed is done on the floor.

So I started stalking the internet for sales of rocking chairs. I figured some American would want to unload their rocking chair before moving somewhere else. I checked craigslist. I checked the bulletin boards of the international grocery stores. Nuthin'. Finally, a posting came through on the "Tokyo pregnancy group" distribution list, and I think I called this woman about 2 minutes after the email popped up. And, she lives in my neighborhood!!! The chair is blue (as seen above), but I don't care. I will put some pink all over it.

I really can't begin to explain how excited I am. I figured I'd be lucky enough to have a colicky baby without the ability to rock her to sleep. Now that I have the chair, maybe I'll have another calm baby (like Joseph). I'm all about Murphy's Law.