Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Our DMV experience in Tokyo


Christian and I have to get Japanese drivers licenses. Mind you, we can drive up to one year on our international drivers licenses, so this is for when we are here past 12 months. Our destination services professional, Fumi, took us to the DMV to get things done. Oh, before we even went there, I had to get translations of our Wisconsin licenses, for about $30 each. (this was done at the Japanese Auto Association)

So we arrive right at 8:30, when the place opens. We head to booth 26, where the foreign nationals wanting to obtain Japanese licenses should go. Fortunately, the guys there spoke English, and once they found out we were from the home of the Brewers, they were happy. It is amazing how the Japanese follow American baseball (certainly more than I).

In order to complete the application, we needed our US licenses, our passports, our alien registration cards, the translation of our licenses, some passport photos, about $60 each, and proof that we lived in the US 3 months after obtaining our licenses. This was kind of a document nightmare, but we managed.

We then had to take a vision test (we both passed). Then we pay the money... And then we had to take a computerized test of the rules of the road. I'll tell you our scores, but Christian will probably gloat about it. He got a perfect; I got 90%. You only need 70% to pass.

You may be wondering what the symbol above means? Any guesses? It's the stop sign here in Japan. :)

Now, the tricky part.... we both have to take driving tests. In fact, Christian has to take 2 tests; one for a car, one for a motorcycle. We had to make appointments for all these tests, and the schedule really stinks. We show up at 8:30 and take the test soon thereafter. If we find out we pass, we fill out some paperwork and then get our license at 1 pm (meaning we need to stick around for the WHOLE morning). If we fail, we then make another appointment on another day. Mind you, Christian has to do this twice. It really stinks. Oh, and get this, the driving instructors do not speak English. Christian and I need to learn how to count to twenty in Japanese by next week, in addition to knowing the words for "right," "left," straight ahead," etc. I really hope I can learn quickly. The guy at the appointment desk highly suggested to Christian that he memorize the motorcycle course before he shows up. Christian is planning to drive to the DMV on his Harley and then show them he can ride. Hopefully, Christian passes this portion. Otherwise, I can see the headlines: "Harley-Davidson Japan Managing Director FAILS the motorcycle test."

One other thing that is kind of amusing is that Fumi suggested Christian and I wear face masks (as all Japanese do!) to the DMV. She felt that some sick people would be there, and we would be at risk. Well, let me say that I am glad I didn't waste any money on medical school and surgeon training because I felt absolutely claustrophobic with that thing on. I'll write more about this later, but blowing your nose and other "natural" things are really frowned upon in Japan. I have a bit of a cold myself, so where is my nasal stuff supposed to go? I'll leave you all with that image. :)