Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving (random thoughts)


Here are some views from our "street" in Tokyo. The roads here are a bit crazy. They are more narrow than alleys in Chicago, and they are two-way streets. Plus, there are some hills here that would make the hills in San Francisco seem like bunny slopes. The police officer in the first picture is guarding something associated with the Chinese Embassy (about a block away). Maybe the ambassador actually lives there?

Our neighborhood is considered one of the "fancier" neighborhoods in Tokyo, primarily because a lot of expatriates live there. However, there is a mix of everything here. Tiny, tiny apartments next to big houses. Granted, "big houses" here would be the size of a townhouse in Milwaukee. Rent is so high. Most people here do not own cars. The ones who do own cars tend to own flashier ones; I've seen countless ferraris, maseratis, and even a maybach or two.

I've been on a mission to try to bake some cookies. Well, let me tell you that finding baking soda and flour has been quite the challenge. Buying flour at the international grocery stores is just too expensive to stomach. And buying flour at the Japanese store requires me deciphering the difference between 5 flours. I hope these cookies turn out to be yummy.

Most expatriate families here hire Filipino women to help out in their homes. I was trying to be a bit proactive to get some help once the baby arrives. I hired this lovely woman, Let, for two days a week. She is awesome with Joseph (like so awesome that Joseph has a permanent playmate for the day). Let was telling me that she was trained as a nurse back in the Philippines but can make more money babysitting children here in Tokyo. Isn't that crazy? Call me a bleeding heart liberal, but that just depresses me.

Today is Thanksgiving Day, but there's no holiday here. (duh) Christian worked for half a day, and then we headed to the Tokyo American Club for a later Thanksgiving buffet lunch. We stuffed ourselves silly. They had all the normal fixings, plus a bunch of seafood (to complement the Asian "section" of the buffet). So that was the first time I've had shrimp and crab at Thanksgiving. I could have had octopus, too, but I couldn't tell if it was cooked!

One last random thought.... When Christian went shopping for all our electronics, he bought a small rice cooker. What have I been doing without this thing my whole life????!!! I bought some good Japanese rice, and we (at least Joseph and I) are in heaven. I know there's this big kick to not eat white rice in the US, but the Japanese are healthy and slim for a reason. This is magical rice.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!