Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Joseph's birthday in Japan

I don't think Joseph gets that he is now 2. We got him an ice cream cake and some toys, yet this is probably just an ordinary day to him. One of his toys is a bus, and he is now carrying this all over the place.

In addition to all the changes that Joseph is experiencing, his personality is showing changes, too. Before, his favorite phrase was "big truck!" Now, it's "my turn!" It's cute for about 2 minutes, and then I start to reminisce about when he just sat in his little bouncy chair and looked around the room (and didn't speak).

He doesn't seem to have picked up any Japanese quite yet. I mentioned before that he is very popular with elderly Japanese people. I forgot to mention that he was "paparazzi'd" recently. Some tourists (maybe Chinese?) took his photo at a park. I hope that stuff doesn't end up on some weird website somewhere!

Christian and I also put him in a toddler bed once we moved into our apartment. Sure enough, he fell out the first night and was a bit stunned. The general transition, however, has been pretty easy (knock on wood).

Joseph's drinking milk like a fiend (which is surprising because the milk smells different to me), but he's not eating that much. We see our Wauwatosa pediatrician in December, and I'm hoping he doesn't tell us that Joseph's dropped to the 5th percentile in weight!

One more thing - he's got his eye on a really cute French/Brazilian little girl across the way in our complex. Her name is Alice, and he always looks for her. Let's just see what happens in 20 years or so....