Friday, March 18, 2011

Life in Singapore

We are very close to the equator, so it's hot and sticky here. I don't mind this weather because it means I don't have to use hand lotion a million times a day. However, my hair is one frizzy mess.

Christian arrives today for a few days, so I will escape for a while (get a haircut).

As I mentioned previously, I really miss Japanese customer service. Getting a taxi here is really hard, and the taxi drivers are not terribly accommodating. Shopping is just like shopping in America. They take your money without much of a thank you. But I am happy to shop here. LOTS of things I cannot find in japan. I have had some amazing bread here. And I also tried this incredible beef jerky. I mean, seriously, I salivate over this stuff.

I've been thinking about this holding pattern we are in. I guess the worst case scenario is that we go home from Singapore and find a way to ship our stuff back home. This makes me sad in that I would not be able to say goodbye to good friends. And Joseph wouldn't finish out his school year.

But really, we have it EASY compared with some people. We are staying in a nice temporary apartment and have a support system here. I've been thinking of other families in japan with nowhere to go. And what about refugees from third world countries? Again, I have nothing to complain about. But, I could complain about not knowing how to entertain my kids in this foreign place. I hope to hire a babysitter for a few hours here and there so that I can walk around by myself. :)

Today we are going to the Singapore zoo, which is supposed to be fantastic. And tomorrow maybe we will take a duck tour. All in all, Singapore is really beautiful. It is so lush here. Oh, it's true that no chewing gum is sold here!

Over and out.