Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Big fat UGH

As I mentioned before, our life here in Singapore is not bad. The weather is nice, we have a nice apartment, and I can speak English here. There have also been a couple of pleasant surprises: I have two Tokyo friends here, we can eat all kinds of food we've been craving from the US, and I can find shoes and clothing in my size!

The uncertainty surrounding our stay is really more than I can handle. I was all set on flying back to Tokyo this weekend until a report came out that Tokyo tap water is not good for infants. Fine, I could give Gracie bottled water, but how do I prevent her from drinking the bath water? And does this apply to Joseph, too?

It's been hard by myself with the kids. I won't lie. If I knew we would stay in Singapore a long time I would enlist some help. I am just not sure what we should do.

Of all the expats I know in Tokyo, I don't know anyone who stayed there (except the dads who are working). People went to Hong Kong, Hawaii, Guam, Singapore, Europe, Australia, or the mainland US. Now, everyone is trying to figure out when to come back.

I know most of you are thinking, "screw it, just come home." But our lives are in Tokyo, at least for the time being. It would just be logistically difficult to abandon ship and come
home right now. Don't worry, we won't put Joseph and Gracie in harm's way.