Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Some more tidbits, October edition

I have a few interesting photos to share.

The first is a moving technique.  We have new neighbors above us.  Evidently, their sleeper sofa would not fit in the elevator or the stairwell.  So the movers hoisted it over the balcony.  It was theatrical!


My friend, Junko, invited Christian and me to her house for dinner.  She had a guest chef who specializes in soba kaiseki.  I got to help out with the presentation of the food.  I did not do a great job, but it was interesting to see how chefs in Japan are so into the design of the food on the plate.  It was a lovely meal.  The chef works at a 1-star Michelin restaurant in Yokohama.


A few nights ago I joined some other pre-school moms to watch another mom at her night club gig.  She is a professional singer and has been in Japan 17 years.  When you meet other foreigners in Japan, you always end up asking what people do for a living.  Most people have kind of "boring" jobs - consultants, marketing directors, Harley dudes... you get the picture.  Andrea (the singer) is married to a restaurant owner. They certainly have interesting stories to tell.  She has a great voice!


Finally, I was shopping at the 100 yen store today, and I came across this beauty.  Again, I wish someone would just hire me as a proofreader.  There aren't any misspellings on this label, but it just sounds so goofy!  "The sitting mat wrap of the flush toilet."  OK!  I couldn't help but show you something associated with bathrooms/toilets.  Enjoy.