The beginning of spring in Japan starts with the Setsubun holiday. This is where people throw beans at "demons." Evidently, people chant something like, "out with demons, in with luck!"
I found out through a neighbor that there was going to be a parade on the main street near our house - Azabu Juban. I bundle up the kids and get them excited about seeing a band/horses/clowns/etc. Well, it was a bit different than what you'd see on Main Street, USA.
Some uniformed men were carrying this temple-looking structure through the streets. I am still not sure what was going on here. However, the police blocked cars from the streets, so it was cool to walk around.
A short while after this temple thing passed by, the demons came out. Joseph and I called them the "scary guys."
This particular "scary guy," though, was actually quite nice.
We made our way to a different part of the street, and then some of the organizers started to throw candy to the crowd. I'm not kidding when I say this, but some adults were snatching candy out of the kids' reach! Anyway, Joseph was just standing there, and some guy came and took him by the hand. This is Japan, after all, so I was not alarmed. He brought Joseph over to a big table and handed him a huge shopping bag full of candy and cookies! This was certainly such a nice gesture. Of course, now I constantly hear, "Mama, can I have some candy?" "Mama, can I have a cookie?" Lather, rinse, repeat.

