Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Run for the Ketchup

Christian and I ran the Run for the Cure here in Tokyo.  Harley was one of the sponsors.  I was really nervous about running because I have seriously only run about 5 times in the past year.  I finished the race without having to walk! 

Anyway, the race was around the Imperial Palace, so it was really a gorgeous run.  Aside from the Tokyo Marathon, there are very few road races in Japan.  As a result, this Run for the Cure was strange. It wasn't really disorganized, but it was missing some things that we American runners take for granted.  There was no digital clock to show the time elapsed.  There were no mile (or km) markers.  There weren't even any directions on how to run the course.  Fortunately, I am pretty slow these days, so I just followed other runners.

And, the weirdest thing was that our "gift bag" or runner's bag contained a bottle of ketchup.  :)  Heinz was one of the sponsors, but this was a bit strange.  I'm used to getting granola bars.