Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Parking in Japan


Take a look at the picture on the bottom. What do you notice? All the cars back into parking spaces!! It's the weirdest thing. In any parking lot you see, cars back in, rather than pull in forward. Newer cars here all go "beep! beep!" when going in reverse. So you're really supposed to check all your surroundings before getting in these parking spaces. By the way, this parking lot is at a hardware store that is considered one of the largest in Tokyo. I was expecting to find something like Home Depot. Not so much. For the Wauwatosa readers, this store, D2, was not much larger than Puhls True Value.

The photo on the top shows how some people creatively park their cars. This is a house near our apartment. See how close the van parks to the side of the garage? I think the clearance is similar on the other side, so I'm not sure how the driver gets out of the van!

Anyway, just some ordinary Tokyo shots....