Friday, October 30, 2009

Praise the pacifier and sleepless in Tokyo

So Joseph was pretty good on the flight. He slept about half the time. We gave in and gave him his pacifier for most of the flight. Our dentist said we should ditch that thing within the next six months, but I'm not sure that I can do this. It is a lifesaver.

Anyway, we arrived at Narita airport, only to have one of our bags missing. No fewer than 4 people apologized for this mishap. (wouldn't see that at O'Hare, I tell you) The bag showed up about 30 minutes later, so all was fine. I'm still not sure where it was!

We took a minivan back to our hotel/apartment, and we got stuck in some pretty typical traffic. I saw the part of Tokyo that would have held the 2016 Olympics, had Tokyo won.

Once we unloaded our bags, we headed for a pasta dinner, and that is when slap-happy Joseph arrived on the scene. Wowsers, it was like he was drugged.

Christian and I ate faster than lightning, and we headed back to our room. We put Joseph to bed, only for him to get up 3 times later that night. The first was at 10 pm (10 minutes). The second was at 11:30 pm (2 hours), and then he got up for good at 3:30 am. I couldn't sleep (tragic, really) for that 2 hour stint, so I got up and watched some videos with Joseph (thanks, cousins!). Christian got up with the 3:30 wakeup.

We ended up leaving the hotel around 6:30 for a super-long walk around our neighborhood. It was great to see so many things with so few people are around.

Then, at 9 am, we went to sign the lease on our apartment. This place is NICE! (visitors, anyone?) The complex, of sorts, is kind of like Melrose Place. Hey, if Andrew Shue cares to show up, I'm game. During the time that we signed our lease, all these utilities folks showed up to set things up. The efficiency is amazing.

After this stop, we headed to the local government office to get my "alien registration card." I tell you, this was the most painless process I've ever encountered. I had visions of an experience similar to the DMV back home. Not at all. And some interesting observations.... There is a crib in the waiting area of this place for babies that need to take naps!! Being pregnant, I qualify for this mother/baby stuff that allows me free bus rides, discounts on tons of stuff, etc. It was truly astonishing!!

Our day didn't end up going as smoothly as in the morning because I had to get a cell phone. We had to wait 1 hour just to talk to someone. I was about ready to pass out from fatigue, so I'm glad that's finally done.

Saturday is play day!